Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Shout out to friends

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 says:  Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work; if one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken. (NIV)

A wonderful friend surprised me by sending me a One-Year Women's Devotional in the mail. I have been reading it almost every day. Each devotion has been right on time which by the way is so how God works. Also, as I have been reading these I have thought so many times that I need to use these with my kids. These last couple of days have been about friendships. Yesterday was title "Does it Matter Who My Friends Are?" The verse is Do not be deceived: bad company corrupts good morals. I Corinthians 15:33 (HCSB) This verse is very timely in that I have had to talk with Jonathan about a boy in the neighborhood and why I don't particular want him to be playing with this kid. I have tried to talk to them about what they put in to their hearts/lives is what is going to come out. Therefore if you watch or hang around people who talk inappropriately or disrespect others then you may end up saying and acting the same way. I've had many examples with them this week to use as an example. But even today's devotion was a reminder of how important it is to choose right friends! True friends will be there no matter what! A true friend is priceless! I want to share some of what was written in the devotional: "The writer of Ecclesiastes told us the value of friendship. The word 'reward' in Ecclesiastes 4:9 can also be translated 'return' as in 'return on investment'. The best investments you will make in life are not financial; they are relational. The writer of Ecclesiastes gave us a couple of reasons why we should invest in friends. First, friends help you when you are down. If you want to know the difference between acquaintances and friends, get in trouble. The ones who are still around and helping you walk through the difficult time are your true friends. Second, friends will have your back when someone is tearing you down. The idea behind this verse is based on the military. Most battles in that day were fought hand to hand. The soldiers would stand back to back in battle as they fought. Obviously, if one soldier was attacked from behind, his fellow soldier would protect him. This is the picture of true friendship. Are you making a wise investment? You will have a good return if you will invest in friends. Look for opportunities to strengthen those friends when they are in trouble. True, authentic friendships are a gift from God and are a rare treasure! Stand up for your friends when they cannot stand up for themselves. It will pay great dividends."

I am a type of person that when things are hard or tough I will withdraw to myself. Back a few years ago I did that same thing and ended up in a dark pit. God put a new friend in my life that walked with me on this journey back out. Since October my family and I have been struggling with all kinds of sicknesses. We were spending lots of money on doctor visits as well as medicines, and I found myself struggling spiritually. We were having to miss church alot because of it. Christmas was coming up very quickly, and I really wasn't sure how we were going to be able to have Christmas gifts for our family. During this time I didn't call or text too many of my friends, but thank God my friends were still checking in to see if we were ok. I have a group of girlfriends that I get together with from time to time. I so want to give a shout out for them. They have my back! They are there for me. They are also real with me. They make sure I continue to focus on the important things.

I feel like today we get so busy with stuff or doing stuff and caught up in our own little world that we don't take the time to check on our friends or be that true friend to someone. I think even when we're going through a hard time we need to take the time to reach out to our friends because they may also be going through a hard time and together you can encourage each other. We need each other! Friendship is a gift of God! Look around and see who you can be a friend to. Value your friends! Pray for them! Encourage them! Help them in their walk with God!

So this is for my dear friends who have my back! I love you all dearly! I deeply value your friendship! I pray that I will be that true friend to you!

No comments: